Thursday, October 15, 2009

Reflection and patience

I miss East Asia so much. I had a delightful conversation with my new PALS about all the words I could remember (the vast majority was descriptions and names of food...), I've been thinking about my wonderful "summer family," and I've talked with a few other people about it lately, so it's been on my mind. It wasn't all perfect, and I certainly battled with discouragement many times throughout the summer. There were mosquitos out the wazoo, and I didn't get a whole lot of sleep. But it was amazing. I keep looking forward and trying to apply everything to the now, and it's cool to see what God is doing, but my heart just longs to go back in time to the summer.

Here are some major themes of the summer:
  • "...And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." Acts 2:47
  • "'My food,' said Jesus, 'Is to do the will of Him who sent me and to finish His work. Do you not say, "Four months more and then the harvest"? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest... Thus the saying "one sows and another reaps" is true. I sent you to reap what you have not worked for. Others have done the hard work, and you have reaped the benefits of their labor.'" John 4:34-35, 37-38
  • "For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified." 1 Corinthians 2:2
  • "You Said" by Shane & Shane
  • "Mighty to Save" by Hillsong
Any of those things automatically bring me back to a time when God did crazy, radical, life-changing things and we had to rely on Him. Maybe now I'm relying on myself more, and thus wondering why I don't see God working as much. But who am I kidding? God always stays the same. His character never changes.
But for now, I just want a big hug and some hotpot. :-(



*Took a break, walked away, washed the dishes, read the Bible, laughed, and came back to report*



"Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain. You also be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand." James 5:7-8

Right there, in today's chapter. Be patient. Establish your heart. I'm not sure I can add anything to that.


No comments:

Post a Comment